Monday, July 30, 2012

Tomato Heaven

It's that time of year, the time when all of the tomato plants have started to really produce.  The full visual effect is not suitably shown here, since I have about 5-6 tomatoes on my window sill at home.

I love tomatoes, so this is pretty much heaven for me right now.  My favourites are Black Krim, not shown here.  They are sweet, and have a beautiful dark skin.  Delicious with a bit of olive oil, balsamic, salt and pepper.

Carrots are showing up nicely, they are definitely better than last year since we thinned them out properly.  Some are a bit deformed, but that is only an aesthetic thing.

We're taking them out kind of early as we are eating them up, I think they could still stay in the ground longer.

That purple thing is the first eggplant, which is going into a schezwan stir fry tonight.

And you can see, plenty of jalape├▒os that we are going to pickle, or add to salsa.

The rain last week was wonderful for the seeds we planted.  Also aided by the new bed trough formation, no doubt.  I think this method is a winner.

Everything but the carrot and parsnips have sprouted, and if memory serves carrots came up last on the first sowing so I'm not too concerned at the moment.

That means we've got peas, cucumber, spinach, leaf lettuce, romaine, frisee, beets, turnip, and a few rows of onions on the go.

Hopefully the temperatures stay warm but not hot, throughout the next month.






Here we have repurposed the cucumber trellis for peas.  The heavy rains did a good job of churning some of the planted pea seeds, so we may not get quite as much as we planted.  We may not get any at all, who knows!


Here are the new lettuce and beet beds.  The beets have come up right away, and in good numbers, so maybe 5th sowing is the charm.




















 In other eggplant news, the chinese eggplants are in but the Italian variety is still coming along.  This is about the size of a softball at the moment.

And lastly, the corn.  Oh...the corn.  I'm really not sure what to expect.  For starters, ear wigs have eaten almost all the silks off of all the ears I can see.  I thought this might mean that the corn will just be cobs with no kernels.  I pulled off an ear that looked especially decimated, but to my surprise it actually had plump, juicy kernels on it.  There were some bare patches, and the top of it had been nibbled away, but at first glance we might actually get some corn afterall...even if it is kind of ugly.

The kernels produced a milky white substance which I think means they are actually ready.  We'll leave them one more week and then take what we can, camping.  Should be delicious grilled on the open fire.

No comments:

Post a Comment