Tuesday, May 22, 2012

So Close to Noms.

Garden 104, May Long Weekend 2012
As you can see from this picture, things are looking pret-ty good this week at good ol' plot 104.

The weather was great, and we spent a bunch of hours on Sunday just performing some routine maintenance tasks like weeding (oh god, the weeds), tripping over string, trying to figure out the best method to water when our only choice is to water during the heat of the afternoon.

I am working on a method that involves a hose and a sock (I've seen my neighbors do it) but haven't quite got the hang of it because our beds are slopey and uneven.  I've got to put in a little time trying to level them out somehow, in order to get this new watering system to work.

We built this and nobody got hurt.
But what is that structure in the lower right hand corner you ask?  Well, let me tell
you, that is our brand new cucumber trellis!  I dreamed up this design after scrolling through many google images.  It's clever, yes? Anytime I build something that doesn't immediately collapse is a success in my opinion.  We have another roll of chicken wire that we will probably get around to putting on the back, but as you can see by the itty bitty cucumber plants, there is plenty of time for that. Last year was a bit of a cucumber explosion and then disaster of blight and sudden death.  This year hopefully the plants will climb their little hearts out and produce many cucumbers that we can actually find, rather than discovering them weeks later at an enormous size.


So that took up a large chunk of the afternoon, but I think it looks pretty good.  We are planning to sneak some dill in under there so we have plenty for pickles.

And what is this over here?  It's CORN! Yay! Ok, shouldn't get too excited, since everybody tells me how hard corn is to grow.  It seems that either they don't pollinate properly, or the racoons get them, or you don't have enough space.  My garden neighbors grew beautiful looking corn last year and I was so jealous I had to try it.  They came up out of the ground, so that's a good start.  We have 3 rows, I think ideally there should have been 4. By next weekend, whatever corn hasn't sprouted we are either going to replace with pre-sprouted corn, or some pole beans.  Pole beans are going in there anyway, which according to my book "Carrots Love Tomatoes", should keep the racoons out (beans and squash).  We'll see I guess.

Also doing well is the Bok Choi we planted back in early April, it finally sprouted and we've just thinned it out. 


Potatoes have almost all pushed themselves through the earth, which is also very exciting.  We've got three varieties, about 24 plants in total.  I'm told each plant should produce approximately 1lb of potatoes.  One thing I am most looking forward to, is being able to make a potato salad 100% from the garden (mayo excluded, of course)

Peas have finally sent out their little arms and are starting to latch onto the cages.

Oddly enough, the only thing that hasn't come up yet are beets.  We've sowed them twice now and nothing.  If there is nothing by next week I'm going to try one more time before I resort to plants.

Yes peas!
We figure by the end of this week we'll be harvesting the first of the salad bowl lettuce and the arugula, as well as green onions, as we have to start thinning them out.

Who's hungry!?

No comments:

Post a Comment