Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Ok, so maybe it was too early





Ok, so maybe planting all our seeds the first weekend in April was a touch ambitious, I admit.  But we had nothing to lose, except..all our seeds.

But nevermind that, it's May now and it's "ok"to plant stuff.

April was colder than we expected, I guess we were lulled in by that warm spell in March.  Nothing really grew, but by this past weekend there were a few sprouts coming through so all is not totally lost.  The onions are doing pretty great, as is the garlic, but that was to be expected as those things seem to like the cold temperatures.  We're going to have onions so early this year, I'm excited.  I wonder if we can get a second crop?

Garlic AND a rainbow. Magic.
Things that have sprouted: radish, some of the lettuce, spinach (kinda).  We made a few alterations to the master plan, another row of radish where the lettuce didn't grow.  Reseeded the beets and spinach and peas.  I also bought a cultivator which is like god's gift to gardening.  I love it, and intend to marry it.

Onions and itty bitty lettuce.
We planted the corn in the back, I'm very excited at this experiment.  Everybody tells me it's really hard to grow, but my garden neighbour grew it successfully last year.  Oh, and speaking of garden neighbours, how about this juicy dirt! (get it? dirt?) It looks like somebody liked our last years garden design so much they decided to copy it a bit this year.  Jokes on them, it's a waste of space and we planned our garden copying THEIR design this year.  Ha!  

Last year we did everything in giant raised beds, which is nice in theory I guess, but overall it was a lot of work to pile up that dirt, and I felt like we didn't utilize the space as well as we could have.   This year we're going for neat and tidy rows at path level.  We already have maybe 3x as much potential as we did last year.  The paths are pretty narrow too, I'm curious to see what it will be like to navigate it while everything is in full bloom.  We're getting lots of compliments from passers by as to how awesome we are, how great the garden looks already, how pretty it is.  I think it looks a bit OCD but I'm ok with that. 

We also planted the bok choi, chard and collards, as well as the peppers and a few tomatoes and cucumbers. More to come as soon as they hit the garden center.  This week we intend to get the potatoes in the ground as we're a bit behind because SOMEBODY (me) forgot them at home.  We also have to build a trellis for the cucumbers, fun.

I am going to cut a bitch if somebody steals our peppers this year.


No comments:

Post a Comment