Monday, May 14, 2012

Obsessive Compulsive Gardening

OCD Garden
I'm not one of those people that does anything without a spreadsheet, and if I learned anything last year it's that organization is key.  Sure some people are content to just drop some things in the ground and see what happens, I'm not one of those people. I've got an online garden planner, a spreadsheet, a running shopping list - it's all linked to my phone so  wherever I am I can see when the eggplant should be maturing.  Important stuff!


Also given the variety we're doing this year, I made a point to make sure everything was labelled, so I'm finding now the garden is looking a bit like somebody with a mental disorder has taken over.  I'm ok with it though.  Secretly, I think the neighbours are jealous though.


It's been good because all this organization has meant that it's mid-may and not only has the first round of planting been pretty much completed, but everything is on schedule and we'll be able to maximize what we get out of this space all summer.


Speaking of eggplant and organization, the one time I went to the garden center and didn't refer to my copious notes meant that I bought eggplant too early.  We didn't have a space for it right away so we left it in the little plastic trays for a week.  This weekend it was looking a little worse for wear but we managed to make a space, so hopefully they bounce back.


Sad eggplant is sad.
Potatoes were planted during the week, there are three varieties and we've never done potatoes so I really have no idea how that's going to go.  Everybody around us did potatoes last year, so it can't be that hard.




So now pretty much everything for round 1 is in.  I'm expecting radishes in 15-20 days.  This week the project is to make a trellis for the cucumber.  I did some research and came up with a pretty simple design that we will be able to move around year to year.

We are expecting to see some carrots starting to sprout, maybe even corn by next weekend!

This week has been a tough week with my Grandfather in the hospital, so the few times I've been to the garden has really helped just sorta clear my mind and feel a bit better about things. There is something pretty therapeutic about taking off your shoes and walking around in the soil.  I really enjoyed visiting him yesterday and showing off my latest photos.



No comments:

Post a Comment