Sunday, July 3, 2011

Week 6: What is wrong with this zucchini?


The Garden, Canada Day 2011.

It was a hot hot hot weekend at the garden, I'm a bit sunburt. We hopped on our bikes on Thursday thinking it would be an easy trip, turns out it's about 9km entirely uphill, so, yeah, probably won't be doing that too often.

It got watered every day, and still things change every day.

The biggest change I've noticed is that there seems to be possibly something wrong with one of the zucchinis. I put them in cages in an attempt to contain them somewhat from the small pathway. The leaves seems to be disappearing, I see no bugs on them. Maybe they're rotting away? There was a tiny zucchini coming along, looked fine and then suddenly one day it was mushy and rotten.

What's going on here? What should I do? I've just been giving it water as usual and not fussing over it, mostly because I have no idea. There are still some new growth, healthy looking young leaves coming through. Is this normal?

I finally was able to thin out all the onions. It took me a while to get over the idea of plucking out good looking plants but I think it needed to be done. Besides, I used the onion greens and some dill in a wicked potato salad so it wasn't all bad :)

We've got a cute little pepper growing! Someday it will grow up to be a red pepper. Go little pepper go!

More tomatoes are coming in, I'm starting to grow fearful at the sheer mass of tomatoes that are going to be ready at the same time.

Lettuce is good to go as of next week. We have been putting blood meal down and around the base of the plants which seem to be keeping the nibbling animals at bay. I'm really looking forward to this, and the crazy mixed greens we have going.

Pumpkin is exploding everywhere. We've got two pumpkin plants and they are both doing great. The other melon plants are also coming along, but they are a little less flamboyant.

Next weekend we leave to go camping for a week and when we get back we should see a bunch of things getting ready to come out. Definitely something to look forward to returning to!

No comments:

Post a Comment