Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Time To Get To Work




Monday May 23rd, 2011.

Ryan and I did some shopping and picked up a Garden Claw, a shovel, a value pack of work gloves (foresight!), a small garden tool kit, a pH tester, and some stakes and twine.

We spent about 4.5 hours while it was nice and cloudy and set about clearing the land. Thank god for the Garden Claw, as it worked on the soil pretty nicely. It took a fair amount of time to clear out the tall and deeply rooted grass (visible at the back of the plot) that had obstructed the front passageway, and we managed to salvage some perennial flower that is pre-bloom in front. Somebody will have to tell me what it is, I think it's going to be pretty though!

I'd like to get some more perennials to frame the front area and make it really "garden-y".

The soil is sandy and a bit on the dry side, so I'm thinking some peat moss is in order. We also want to build the beds and start planting this weekend so I'm not sure what the right way to do that is.

When we got home we got some graph paper and plotted out everything we'd like to try planting and where it's going to go, using some great books given to me by my grandmother. It's shaping up to be either an amazing wonderland of vegetables, or an abject failure. I really have no clue. Either way, I'm VERY glad we managed to get the area cleared so the soil can settle all week and maybe benefit from some foretasted rain.

Lesson of the day: it's apparently OK to poach plants and materials left behind by owners who have abandoned their plots, so we now have a garden hose and a few new strawberry bushes from next door. :)

1 comment:

  1. You have a great start and don't get discouraged if some of the things you try to grow don't do so well at first...it takes a while to learn what is needed in the soil for certain plants. I'll be following!
    You can follow me on http://karenmartinarts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete